Martin D18 – What a stunning guitar!
Martin made a timeless classic guitar when first releasing the D-18 standard series which features a warm tone and honest sound.
Showcasing a full rounded and rich sound, the D18 is a guitar with legs. The legendary dreadnought was first introduced to the Martin guitar family pre-war in 1931. It is still a timeless guitar today, with the D18 having been reimagined in recent years.
Martin D18 For Sale
Hear the rich, resonant tones of the D-18 dreadnought. An American classic, this Martin features a black ebony fretboard and solid mahogany back and sides.
Understated looks, timeless tone. The warm tone of mahogany and authentic Sitka spruce couple with resonant scalloped bracing under the hood for a sound that’s honest, authoritative, and clear.
Martin D18 Vintage
Vintage details like open-geared tuners and classic 18-style appointments pair with a modern, low profile neck for an old-soul sound in a brand-new body.
Martin D18 Acoustic Guitar
The Martin D18 guitar is a welcomed addition to any guitarists collection. But don’t just take our word for it…
Martin D18 Review
“Amazing. The nicest acoustic I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Almost impossible to put down. I’ve owned a Martin D15 before, as well as an American made Breedlove, and also test drove 30 + other Taylors, Gibsons, and Martins, before I decided on the D-18. For my ears, the D-18 sounds clearer, and better balanced, than the D-28 & D-35. Yes, it’s lacking the ornate inlays and binding that the more $$$ Martins have, but don’t be fooled- this is a BEAUTIFUL GUITAR. I couldn’t be happier.” – Sean H in Seattle, WA.
Martin Guitar D 18 Features
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Finish top: Gloss
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Back & Side Finish: Gloss
- Bracing Pattern: Forward-Shifted X-Brace
- Scale Length: 25.4″
- Brace Shape: Scalloped
- Fingerboard Width At Nut: 1 3/4”
- Top Material: Sitka Spruce
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval
- Back Material: Genuine Mahogany
- Neck Taper: High-Performance Taper
- Side Material: Genuine Mahogany
Martin D18 1939 AuthenticMartin Guitar D-18 Authentic 1939 Aged Acoustic Guitar with Hardshell Case, Spruce and Mahogany Construction, Vintage Gloss Finish, and D-14 Fret
Martin D18 1939 Features
- PROFESSIONAL SOUND: The D-18 Authentic 1939 Aged Guitar has genuine mahogany and Adirondack Spruce with Vintage Tone System (VTS) construction for a professional sound. This vintage-look guitar faithfully recreates the Depression Era vibe of the 1930s, while the solid-wood mahogany gives it a retro tone.
- SUPERIOR APPEARANCE: The D-18 Authentic 1939 Aged acoustic guitar boasts genuine mahogany back, sides and the top are expertly constructed from Adirondack spruce and topped with a vintage gloss finish. It has a dovetail neck joint using hide-glue construction; scalloped, authentic 1939 X-bracing; standard tapered neck; and nickel open-gear tuners, making it look as captivating as it sounds.
- PREMIUM HANDMADE GUITARS: Handmade from the highest-quality wood, Martin’s Authentic Series guitars are built to stand up to late-night jams, long studio sessions, and plenty of strumming or picking. These solid-wood acoustic guitars deliver classic designs, professional sounds, and enjoyable playing.
- ENHANCED PLAYABILITY: In addition to Martin’s iconic tone, known worldwide, our guitars deliver enhanced playability that makes playing a pleasure, no matter your experience or skill level. Whether you’re playing rock, country, folk, bluegrass, or jazz, these guitars deliver a natural playing experience that you will love.
- AUTHENTIC SERIES: Martin’s superior guitar and string products remain the choice for musicians worldwide for their unrivalled quality, craftsmanship, and tone. Still handmade. Still the standard. Martin guitars are the real deal—not an imitation.
Martin D18 Modern Deluxe
Classic Martin 18 styling meets ultra-modern tech. The Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe acoustic is built with a two-way steel truss rod, making adjustment easy!
The Modern Deluxe Series is offered in four styles: D-18, D-28, 000-28, and OM-28. Each model is packed with custom features and modern technology that you have to see, feel, and hear for yourself.
“Our goal has always been to make the best guitars and strings possible,” said Chris Martin, Chairman and CEO. “We are thrilled with the positive feedback we are getting on these instruments, and we hope you’ll give them a try for yourself.”
The vintage appointments offered in the Modern Deluxe Series include a Sitka spruce Vintage Tone System (VTS) top, VTS Adirondack spruce braces, a dovetail neck joint, and natural protein glue construction. Together, these features produce the rich, entirely aged Martin tone that has inspired generations.
The sound isn’t the only thing that will turn heads with the Modern Deluxe in your hands.
Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe Guitar
One of the most exciting features is a brand-new neck shape that was designed just for the Modern Deluxe Series. The shape has an ultra-low profile, and it is slightly asymmetrical for maximum hand comfort up and down the fretboard.
Martin D18 Left Handed
Left-handed players, look no further than this Martin D-18, beautifully constructed from solid Sitka spruce and genuine mahogany for dense dreadnought tone.
The left-handed Martin D-18 Dreadnought features a sleek, modern high-performance neck for enhanced playability. It also features a Sitka spruce top and genuine mahogany back and sides. Perfect for the intermediate and advanced player.
“The D-18 has been produced by perhaps the best craftswomen and men in the world! Fit and finish are no lesnk s perfect than is my OM-42 that costs 3x…I am glad to have invested in this instrument…I can only say that this guitar exceeds all my expectations regarding sound, playability and craftsmanship.” – Don H in Dunwoody, GA.
Martin D18E Kurt Cobain
In June 2020, Kurt Cobain’s Martin D-18E sold for an impressive $6m. This legendary guitar sale is reported to be the most expensive guitar ever to be sold at auction.
1959 Martin D18E
The 1959 Martin D-18E was used by Cobain in Nivarna’s 1993 MTV Unplugged performance. The left-handed Martin was bought in 1993 at Voltage Guitars in LA. It was produced in the late 1950s, and it was a rare D18E as it was one of the first Martin Guitars to feature electronic pickups.
Rode Microphones founder Peter Freedman bought it, who planned to take the guitar on a worldwide tour. Freedman also reportedly stated that purchasing the special Martin D-18E was a “Once in a lifetime opportunity”.
Martin D18E For Sale
The Martin D-18E Modern Deluxe is packed with vintage and modern appointments. In addition, the carbon fiber bridge plate gives this guitar a boost in tone and volume.
The Martin D-18E Modern Deluxe is packed with vintage appointments, custom features and modern technology. A Sitka spruce Vintage Tone System (VTS) top, dovetail neck joint, and natural protein glue construction deliver the rich, fully-aged Martin tone that has inspired generations.
European flamed maple binding, stylish gold frets, gold open-gear tuners, and a unique 1930s style script logo inlaid in pearl on the headstock give it a look to match its sound.
Martin D 18 E Features
- Series: Modern Deluxe
- Edition Size: Open
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top Material: Sitka Spruce with VTS
- Rosette: Old Style 18 Multi-Stripe
- Bracing Pattern: Forward Shifted X Brace
- Brace Shape: Scalloped
- Brace Material: Adirondack Spruce with VTS
- Brace Size: 5/16″
An enduring classic that has traversed generations of players and genres, this Martin D-28 is updated for a modern playing feel with no tonal compromise.
Sometimes innovation is in the details, which is true with Martin’s reimagined D-28. After nearly a century at the helm, and as the quintessential workhorse of music legends like Hank Williams, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and so many more, Martin’s legendary D-28 has been lovingly and artfully enhanced.
“The post-WWII D-28 had a slightly different look than its predecessor and became the centrepiece of the folk and folk-rock movements at their pinnacle in the 1950s and 1960s,” says Chris Martin, Chairman and CEO of Martin Guitar, “We have extracted the finest features from the D-28 of both my grandfather’s and my father’s respective eras.”
Is a Martin D28 worth the money?
With prices for the D28 varying wildly between the model you choose, you could be left asking, is a Martin D-28 worth the money?
Martin guitars are some of the most beautiful guitars available. This is because they have been producing quality instruments for decades and have such longevity and popularity.
Time and time again, Martin comes out as the top guitar brand amongst guitarists. The Martin D28 is a timeless instrument, and in our opinion, it is very worthy of its price tag.
Martin D-18 vs D-28
If you are still unsure if the Martin D28 is for you, check out our guide to Martin D-18 vs D-28 to give you further options.
Used Martin D18 For Sale
Various years of Martin D18’s produced classic guitars. These include 1971 Martin D18, 1937 authentic, 1935, 1956 and the 1970 Martin D18. Also, a special variant of the Martin D18 is the Martin D18GE, Martin D18 S and the Martin D18 sunburst.
If you are looking for a used Martin D18, we recommend looking on eBay regularly. Then, you might just get that one-off deal!