Best Keyboard For Music Production
Best Keyboard For Music Production – When it comes to the best keyboards for music production, it is easy to become overwhelmed with choice!
We have put together the perfect blog covering all of the ultimate choices for keyboards for music production.
Whether it is a computer keyboard like this:
Or a Midi Keyboard like this:
We have you covered! Let’s dive right in!
Best Computer Keyboard For Music Production
If it is a physical computer keyboard that you want to produce awesome music with, it depends on whether you are using a Mac or a PC.
Don’t worry; we have options for both!
Best Keyboard For Music Production – Mac
ALBA Mac keyboard
- Designed for Avid Pro Tools 2018 Compatible with macOS
- USB wired connection interface
- USB wired connection interface; Plug and Play connectivity
- Two built-in USB 2.0 ports; USB ports support 100mA each
ALBA shortcut keyboard is pure plug & play. No need for drivers and tedious setup. The keyboard has a built-in macOS chip and is fully compatible with macOS. We’re big believers in plug & play, which is why we went to great lengths to build a chip that ensures easy keyboard setup.
On-point ergonomics We partnered with an ergonomic therapist to determine ALBA’s optimum angle. The solution: a typing angle of 8.5 degrees with leg lift and 4.5 degrees without leg lift.
Key travel can’t be too big or too small, so our new ALBA keyboard has what we believe is the perfect key travel: 4mm. Scissor-Switch Keys The scissor-switch mechanism gives each key increased stability during typing. Two built-in USB ports We love convenience! That’s why the wired ALBA keyboard has two built-in USB 2.0 ports.
Best Keyboard For Music Production – PC
Logickeyboard Compatible with Astra Backlit PC
- Backlit keys for enhanced contrast and readability
- Dimmable backlight with five selectable levels. 100/80/60/40/20
- Which allows you to set the light at the exact level you prefer, considered the light in your surroundings.
- Built-in dual USB ports -Scissor-switch keys
- Automatically switches to smoothing light when left alone for three minutes
- Designed for Steinberg Cubase 11 & Nuendo 8 Compatible with Windows 7-10
- Color-coded labelled shortcut keys with graphical commands
The ASTRA backlit keyboard with a numeric keyboard features an elegant, slim white keyboard with low-profile scissor-switch keys for a light yet responsive feel.
With five selectable light levels, the ASTRA is the perfect choice for any lighting environment. The keyboard features two USB 2.0 ports to enable you to connect, e.g. your mouse, contour shuttle or a USB dongle.
The ASTRA keyboard is developed with two USB cables. One for the keyboard itself and one for the USB hub at the back of the keyboard. Having a separate cable for the USB hub avoids problems with installations that require a KVM extender.
To power the keyboard, you need to plug in the grey USB connector. If you need to activate the USB hub on the back of the keyboard, you need to plug in the black USB connector.
This dedicated LogicKeyboard, also features all the regular letters, numbers, and symbol labelling that you will find on a conventional keyboard; it can simply be used as a substitute for it. Easy to set up and use. No software required. It just had to be on on our best keyboards for music production list!
Best Keyboard For Music Making
Novation 49SL MkIII, 49-Key Midi Controller
- Bring MIDI hardware and CV/Gate synths together.
- Easily integrate hardware with your DAW.
- The perfect controller for Ableton Live music-making software
- Internal 8 track pattern-based sequencer
- 1 routable clock for the whole system. Novation now offers a 3-Year Warranty on this and all other Novation products.
Novation SL MKIII is the centerpiece that can be used to control your whole studio, working perfectly alongside your DAW. Make working with your hardware easy and creatively rewarding, and construct your next production in the eight-track polyphonic sequencer, with everything staying in sync. Bring MIDI hardware and CV/gate synths together by plugging them all into SL MKIII, taking total control directly from the internal eight-track polyphonic pattern-based sequencer.
Do you use a DAW and crave integrating your favorite hardware? Well, you can have the best of both worlds. Make controlling your software easy by recording productions from a studio centerpiece. We worked with Ableton to create an absolutely stunning keyboard controller for their live music-making software. The five color LCD screens give you full parameter feedback, enabling you to see everything you are controlling. Real-time record or input notes per step. Play and edit your sequences directly from the keyboard. Record your movements as automation into the sequencer, bringing life to your production.
Whether you’re in the box or outside the box, The midi and analogue clock and transport controls keep everything running in time. Choose an ARP type, set a sync rate, tweak the length, and then use the pads to design your rhythms in real-time. Highly customizable mappings for hardware and software easily control everything.
Create your own templates in the software editor, and save them to the keyboard. Work with scales and keys and set up multiple zones and layers on the keyboard. See everything instantly with vibrant on-key RGB LED feedback. Comprehensive connectivity: USB; MIDI in, Out, out 2/thru; three pedal inputs; analogue clock out; and two CV pitch, gate, and Mod outputs can be used to route anything anywhere.
Best Mini Keyboard For Music Production
AKAI Professional MPK Mini MK3 – 25 Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
- Music Production and Beat Maker Essential – USB powered MIDI controller with 25 mini MIDI keyboard velocity-sensitive keys for studio production, virtual synthesizer control and beat production.
- Total Control of Your Production – Innovative 4-way thumbstick for dynamic pitch and modulation control, plus a built-in arpeggiator with adjustable resolution, range and modes.
- The MPC Experience – 8 backlit velocity-sensitive MPC-Style MIDI beat pads with Note Repeat & Full Level for programming drums, triggering samples and controlling virtual synthesizer/DAW controls.
- Complete Command of your Virtual Instruments and FX – 8 360-degree knobs assign to all your music studio plugins for mixing, tweaking synth controls and more.
- 1500+ Sounds and Everything You Need for Pro Production – Complete Music Production Starter Kit including MPC Beats, 6 Virtual Instruments and 2GB of sound content.
Everything the modern music producer demands is here: Universal compatibility for instant integration with your favorite host music production app (DAW); its compact size makes it an ideal travel companion; its arsenal of beat pads, an arpeggiator, MPC Note Repeat & Full Level, a 4-way joystick and MIDI-assignable controls let you take compete command of every aspect of your production; the new Gen 2 enhanced dynamic keybed guarantees your performance is captured with every subtle inflection of your delivery.
For the beginner, MPK Mini is a complete package with every tool you need to create hit songs from the get-go. For the working professional, MPK mini is the ultimate musical Swiss Army knife, ready to deliver on any musical task. Every song starts somewhere, so rid yourself of any roadblocks by starting your next hit with MPK Mini.
Best Piano Keyboard For Music Production
Yamaha MODX8 88-Key Synthesizer Workstation
- Motion Control Synthesis unifies and controls AWM2 and FM-X sound engines
- The Super Knob controls multiple parameters simultaneously for highly expressive sound interaction
- Send 10/receive 4 audio channels plus 16 channels of MIDI via a single USB cable
- Live Sets allow Performance organization without copying, changing order or renaming
- 4-Part Seamless Sound Switching: change Performances while holding notes without sound or effect cutoff
Empower your creativity, take control and stand out from the crowd with MODX: a compact, lightweight synthesizer designed for inspired music-making. The power of the MODX synthesis engine allows unlimited potential to create your own unique sound demanded by any artist.
The MODX sound engine is based on the same technology powering the flagship MONTAGE: AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) sample and synthesis engine and a pure FM-X (Frequency Modulation) synthesizer modernized for amazing sound playback and complex sound design. Take control and stand out from the crowd. Bring the sophistication of music production automation to real-time live performance with Motion Control.
Best Cheap Keyboard For Music Production
M Audio Keystation Mini 32 MK3 – Ultra Portable Mini USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
- Pro Music Production Wherever You Go: USB MIDI keyboard controller with slimline footprint and 32 mini piano style velocity-sensitive keys for a natural feel
- Customizable Response Mini keys with selectable velocity curves match any playing style inc’l traditional piano, synthesizer, key-based beat making; Pitch bend/ modulation buttons add expression
- Immediate Creativity Simple plug and play connection to your Mac or PC no drivers or power supply required
- Express Yourself Octave up and down buttons for extended keyboard range, volume knob delivers smooth control and sustain button adds expressive capability
- Premium Software suite included Pro Tools, First M Audio Edition recording software/DAW and AIR Music Tech Xpand 2 multitimbral synthesizer
Enter the world of unrestricted computer-based music creation and performance with the Keystation Mini 32 MK3 keyboard controller from M-Audio – successor to the iconic Keystation Mini 32 II.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro looking for just the right controller when you’re on the go or simply looking to get started with the right mini USB MIDI keyboard, the Keystation Mini 32 MK3 is a simple, powerful solution engineered for sequencing music and playing virtual instruments on your Mac or PC.
Fusing a low-profile, ultra-portable footprint with 32 natural-feeling mini-size velocity-sensitive keys and comprehensive controls that expand the range of playable notes, Keystation Mini 32 MKIII provides core control to capture every subtlety of your most expressive performance.
Best Keyboard For Studio One
Arturia KeyLab 49 MKII Keyboard Controller
- 49-note MIDI Controller Keyboard with Aftertouch
- 5 Expression Control Inputs – Black
- 16 RGB Backlit Performance Pads
- 9 Rotary Encoders
- 9 Large Faders
With aftertouch, nine faders, and 16 RGB pads, the Arturia KeyLab 49 MKII MIDI keyboard controller helps you take software synth performance to the next level.
Arturia has taken controller keyboards to the next level with the KeyLab MkII. Control, expressivity, ergonomics, and quality. Whether they are in the studio or on stage, the KeyLab mkII 49 is the ultimate solution for demanding keyboardists.
These durable master keyboards feature aluminium housing and sports the same superb quality key-bed as Arturia’s flagship MatrixBrute. The slick and elegant design of the KeyLab mkII is magnified by natural dark wood side panels and the same sparkling aluminium wheels as the MiniBrute 2. Simply beautiful.
The KeyLab MkII keyboards are more than MIDI controllers; they are instruments crafted with the performing musician in mind. The aftertouch will delight synthesizer players; the nine faders allow for necessary drawbar control. Perform without limits thanks to the five pedal inputs and even additional performance features with the 16 highly sensitive RGB pads.
KeyLab MkII provides the best workflow solution to control your DAW, Analog Lab 3 or any MIDI-compatible instrument. The DAW Command Center is 60% deeper than the Essential range and comes with magnetic inlays: working with the included version of Ableton Live Lite? Use the Live inlay. Now switching to Cubase? Just change to the Cubase inlay! With the same smart and efficient logic, you can now directly access the Analog Lab 3 sound categories from the controller. Need a piano sound? Press the piano button!
Best Midi Keyboard For Music Production
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol
- 32 compact keys to control all your instruments and effects
- Sleek and solid design, fused with professional production features
- It comes with a powerful software package, including synths, basses, drums, effects – plus Ableton Live 10 Lite
- OLED display and touch-sensitive knobs to tweak your sound’s essential parameters in real-time
- USB 2.0 bus-powered
Portable, compact, and ready to tap into a wide range of instruments and effects from Native Instruments and an ever-evolving list of NKS partners. Making it one of the best keyboards for music production.
Play on a quality keybed, get inspired by the Smart Play features and explore your creativity with hands-on controls – letting you fine-tune your sounds from our first micro-sized keyboard.
Komplete Kontrol M32 has everything you could ask for when making music. Its 32 great-feeling keys give you not only great playability but also a compact way to express your creativity. Combined with innovative software, Smart Play features, and seamless integration, you get intuitive control over all your instruments, effects, loops and samples – directly from your keyboard.
Best Midi Keyboard For Beginners
- MIDI Keyboard with 49 full-sized, square-front, semi-weighted keys with aftertouch. USB MIDI and five-pin MIDI Out offer flexible MIDI connectivity
- Manipulate plugins and virtual instruments with hands-on controls. With VI49, you can open and close filters on virtual synthesizers, adjust volume levels in your mix, activate effects, and much more.
- Sixteen velocity-sensitive trigger pads with illuminated RGB feedback for beat production and clip launching. Pitch and modulation wheels deliver expressive, creative control.
- Thirty-six assignable buttons and 12 assignable knobs interface with your music software. Seamless visual feedback via LED screen and illuminated buttons and knobs
- Production software included: Ableton Live Lite and Xpand!2 by AIR Music Tech (downloads). USB powered and plug and play support for Mac and PC
The Alesis VI49 is an advanced USB/MIDI keyboard MIDI controller that lets you take command of your music software with a series of pads, knobs, and buttons.
With 49 velocity-sensitive semi-weighted keys with aftertouch and Octave Up/Down buttons, you can expand the keyboard to the full melodic range and play bass lines, chords, and melodies.
With VI49, artists and producers are given a virtually unlimited range of creative and versatile options with a specifically tailored Pro Tools | First software bundle for Alesis hardware, plus pro-grade virtual instrument software by Air Music Tech. Combining Pro Tools | First Alesis Edition, Ableton Live Lite 9 and Eleven Lite, plus Mini Grand, DB-33 and Xpand!2, this amazing recording software suite provides core tools for any artist, musician or singer-songwriter to create, record and share all their ideas across the world at any time.
Best Midi Keyboard For Live Performance
Korg Microkorg Synthesizer and Vocoder
- Sound Generation Method: Analog Modeling Synthesis System
- Synthesizer Program: Multi Timbral=2 (max, Split/Dual Mode)
- Voices: 4 voices. Power Supply- DC 9 V (AC adapter), or six AA alkaline batteries (sold separately)
- Arpeggiator: 6 types. Outputs: L/MONO, R, Headphones
- Compatibility: Windows – 98 Second Edition, Me, 2000 SP2, XP. Mac OS – OSX10.6.8 or later
In the summer of 2002, the microKORG Synthesizer / Vocoder opened a new avenue for music-making. Combining mini-keys, battery power, a simple-to-use interface, and phenomenal sound, all at an attractive price, microKORG made the synthesizer available to every musician.
The built-in Vocoder and selectable-step arpeggiator add a new dimension to performing and recording without the need to master new technologies, and any external sound can be processed by the microKORG’s filter.
With dedicated knobs and a complete legend to the editable parameters right on the front panel, microKORG allows each player to easily explore the joys of electronic sound creation!
One of the top-selling synthesizers in the world every year since its release, microKORG remains the champion of Korg’s successful micro-series: the microKORG XL, micro sampler, micro piano, microSTATION, microKEY, & micro arranger.
Best Midi Keyboard For FL Studio
Arturia Keylab 49 Essential Controller Keyboard
With everything you need to express your musical ideas, take command of your studio, and perform as you’ve always dreamed of, Arturia Keylab Essential 49 Keyboard Controller, powerful, carefully crafted one-stop solution to creating music, convenient enough for new users to enjoy straight out of the box, but with features that experienced producers will love.
KeyLab Essential gives you everything you need to start creating, performing, tweaking, editing, and releasing your music: a keyboard to perfect your part, a virtual studio to record your ideas, a vast array of sounds to fire your creativity; and controls to fine-tune your sound. Arturia live at the forefront of the music tech world, and the KeyLab Essential strikes the perfect balance between powerful features, incredible sounds, durable construction, and inspiring design, all at an irresistibly affordable price tag.
Analog Lab gives you streamlined tag-based access to 6500+ of the hottest presets from our award-winning V Collection of 17 faithfully modelled legendary classic keyboards — including combinations and effects. Each preset automatically maps the most important sound parameters to your KeyLab Essential for intuitive tweaking and performance control, and you can easily custom map to any controllers via the MIDI Learn feature. Additionally, Ableton Live Lite and Grand Piano Model D software are included.
Arturia engineers listened very carefully to our community of musicians, producers, and performers and created a controller keyboard to suit each of their needs. Dynamic and sensitive enough to capture the nuance of every performance; tough enough to withstand life on tour; and with a streamlined, sleek format. KeyLab Essential delivers incredible functionality, but not at the cost you could expect for this level of quality.
Best Midi Keyboard 2020 For Music Production
Roland JD-Xi Interactive Crossover Synthesizer
Tiny, mighty, and affordable, the JD-Xi puts a true analog synth engine, Roland’s famous SuperNATURAL synth sounds, and many other creative tools under one hood.
Equipped with 37 mini keys, this compact instrument delivers fat, warm analog bass and lead tones with ample controls for hands-on tweaking, plus polyphonic PCM essentials like pads, strings, brass, and more.
Create impressive loops in a flash with the pattern sequencer and built-in drum kits, and explore expressive vocal textures with the gooseneck mic, Vocoder, and AutoPitch. Small in size and large in versatility, the JD-Xi is all about big sounds and big fun!
With its unique crossover sound engine, the JD-Xi provides the best of both worlds: the warm, smooth response of classic analog and the clarity and versatility of modern digital. The newly developed monophonic analog synth section features saw, triangle, and square waveforms with pulse-width modulation and an analog filter, plus an independent sub oscillator for low-end power.
Two digital synth sections offer a wide range of high-quality SuperNATURAL synth tones, including pads, strings, electric piano, sound effects, and many others. Download additional sounds at Roland’s axial site.